Monday 5 January 2015

Open evening rehearsal

OPEN EVENING 
Rehearsal 



For our Open evening rehearsal we started from scene one and worked our way through the play. I remember clearing rehearsing my solo Stay With Me. I needed to get the characterisation right in the song to portray the longing the witch had for Rapunzel to stay with her but also her evil streak that wanted to get the potion to regain her youth and beauty. Strong points in my performance where ;good facial expression
; good vocal range
My targets where that i needed to practice my timing with the music. And also that i needed to really push the last notes of the song out and to not hold back.
I think it was a very useful rehearsal because although it was showing future students the type of work we do , it was taking us out of our comfort zone because people could just walk in and watch your rehearsals unpolished which can be quite daunting. Yet its is very confidence building for you as an actor.

Everyone got to experience there rehearsal being watched at maybe there not so polished stage which shows a great willingness to improve and work on the character they had to portray.

At this stage in the rehearsals i think that the  antagonist character of  the Witch was well developed in my mind. To portray the ideas i had of how she moved and spoke i would move in quick strides around the stage to show the witches imposing persona. Also her posture would be tall , straight and strong. I did this because i wanted to show the power the witch had over the Baker and the Bakers Wife. She controlled  scene one because she is ordering the Baker and his wife to find the right ingredients and she needs to show her high , powerful status through her body language for the audience to imminently know she is the villain.
I would also make my voices pitch high a squeaky to be stereotypical so the audience have immediate understanding that my character is a villain. Furthermore i would project my voice around the whole audience / stage space not just so i would be heard from every area of the stage but to again show that the Witch knew the power she had over others and she needed to come across as imposing and aggressive to fit the stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment