Monday 5 January 2015

Blocking scene 3&4 analysis 9th October

Blocking scene 3 didn't take long  today  as the witch has brief dialogue with the mysterious man  . However i did help Paris with how to stage the Witches "surprise" attack on the mysterious man. We practiced staging how she would fall when i threw a spell at her. We wanted it to look effective to the audience as the witch and the mysterious have a secret conflict relation that the other characters dont know about. This scene is a little insight for the audience . The idea is not to give the whole story away but give a little taster of foreshadowing.
Blocking scene 4 - This was an important part for me to work on as it is the key source of conflict within the play.At first i was directed to be mean and angry with Rapunzel, she has disobeyed the witch by having a prince visit the tower and the witch is now realizing that she could be loosing her only beckon of hope when she was cursed.
To show the anger the witch had towards Rapunzel i would hold the wig towards me making it seem as though i was really tugging at the hair . I would do this by gritting my teeth and motioning her to where i wanted her to go . This showed that the witch was dominating the scenario and was still in control over Rapunzel. I then had to portray a juxtaposition within the witches  feelings. Although she was angry at Rapunzel, she had to show here that she really wanted Rapunzel to stay . Because even though the Witch is a Villain she has a compassionate side to her, she has been a mother figure and is still in fear of not getting her revenge.

The song "Stay with me" was a very motherly , caring song which involved alot of nurturing moves for example "look at her" "hold hands" "stroke face" . I was briefed by my director to make this song show the witches kinder side, so i went along with what i thought was natural and noted them as stage directions to myself. I wanted to show the audience a little bit of the witches real persona so that's why i went with soft slow movements to go the songs laggarto.However the Witch can never loose her evil streak so on certain words i would exaggerate my movements . For example the line "wolves and humans too" i would mime a wolf, bearing my teeth and holding my hands up to her face making claw shapes with my fingers. Because after all the Witch is still trying to scare Rapunzel into staying with her. My voice was soft during this song and my pitch was high to almost give the impression of seducing or hypnotic intentions. I would change my note intervals at different stages for example on the lyrics " who out there could love you more then i " i would drag the note out holding it . This would then give me reason to change my level from low with Rapunzel to high above audience level for impact and gesture out towards the audience to make the song more interesting .
What i needed to improve on in this song was the final notes . I really needed to push the notes out from my diaphragm and end the song on a big climax. My characterization was good and facial expressions held interest , my body language was appropriate i just needed to practice hitting those notes.























No comments:

Post a Comment