Thursday 7 May 2015

Remote connections National Theater



Plot
"A girl called Antler steps out of her front door and throws her phone on the ground. She stamps on it. She then climbs the tallest tree in the park. She doesn’t want to be found, not by anyone. 7 teenager’s lives all intertwine over the course of a single evening as they make their way through the park on a seemingly normal Autumn's night.
Remote is a play about protest, power and protecting yourself." - Bodens.co.uk 

I am taking part in the national theatre connections work shop . The play is called Remote it was written by Stef Smith . Youth groups , young actors and students get a play written by Smith and perform it in their own interpretation . I play a narration part in the acting chorus. To give my part of a narrator their own persona an status to the play I gave my character a name 'Biscuit' .I feel as though Biscuit is a dopey character and likes to break out of her job of being a narrator however is serious when is nessiasry. For example 'I have no idea what going to happen next'. This line may suggest she is a cheeky character and I would direct it to another member of the chorus which broke the relationship that a narrator has with the audience. Development for a narrator can be hard as they are just telling a story . However I have made my narrator have their own silly persona when telling the story. My movement as a narrator is slow and calm to not draw attention away from the main characters. My projection is loud and strong and I have decide to always look directly at someone in the audience to tell the story to as this will help show develop my in persona as a narrator in serious parts of the play.

In rehearsals the most feedback I have been given is pace on lines . Pace is really important . It helps bring the piece together to make it flow and  move . And also line confidence was a big target of mine . I found line learning particularly challenging in remote as the lines are minor sentences / one word lines. Also they are spread out all over the script and can go from a lot of collective lines to random lines in the middle of scene. This made line learning particularly hard because there was no strong link to keep dialogue flowing . Your que line could be the start of a new subject so it's very hard to grasp . Unlike Dissocia where you had dialogue and subjects to bounce off of , even though it was a crazy , mad , surreal play there was still a strong subject you could easily improvise on. Both Dissocia and Remote where non-naturalistic however they where both challenges for very different reasons . Lisa in Dissocia had some depth given to you as an actor , like how she was a women in her 30's who had been distant from her friends and family and was suffering from a dissociative mental disorder . Where as in remote you are purely just given lines to develop further on . 

Overall I think my performance was good . My projection was clear and strong . I walked with perpouse onto the stage to reflect my persona and role as a narrator . My facial expressions where appropriate for the scenes . For example in the very first scene my face is neutural when telling the story however when I said the line "smashed screen" I looked confused or puzzled by frowning . Also my body language was frozen still to create an imposing , aggressive mood to the line.
There were times where I could break from a neutral narrator persona and give some depth into my character by using facial expression , obvious change in body language and string gestures . 

To improve I think I could of concentrated even more on my projection . The Capitol theatre is a lot bigger then the sea light so there was a lot more room to fill . Also the pronounction of my words . I feel as though I could of slowed down my lines to say the words clearer and sometimes I felt I would stutter on my words . However I did deliver my 
lines confidently and with power . 

No comments:

Post a Comment