Thursday 12 May 2016

Dr.Faustus Evaluation

APART 1
PART 2
PART 3




I think overall the show went well . There where so great ensumble pieces some great acting and I think we all work extremely well as a team. 
The opening scene was really effective , I like that max had some time on his own to look through his vinly and turn some dials on his decks . It set the scene and made it clear to the audience what he was (a DJ) and the original concept we decide to apdat Faustus to. It looked really chaotic and busy when we all came on from different entrances it built the space and showed a real sense time moving almost as if it was representing the club building up with people the later into the night it got . What I found challenging was dancing so frantically and then having to go straight into our chorus pieces and project up to the highest row whilst trying to catch my breath . Having said that I think I was loud and animated in my facial expressions and gestures when reciting the section myself , Paige and Georiga had;  " so soon he profits in divinity the fruitful plot of scholarisum graced that shortly he was graced with doctors name excelling all whose sweet delight disputes in heavenly matters of theology till swollen with a cunning of self conceit his waxen wings did mount above his reach and melting heavens conspired his over through "For example on the line "his waxen wings did mount above his reach" I raised my arms and swayed them up and down as if I was miming a bird it had great imagery within it which gave me a lot of opportunity to improvise actions to also create a visual effect. In addition to that when speaking the line " till swollen with a cunning of self conceit" I had a disgusted expression on my face and pointed to faustus as I said those lines. This showed that I was trying to draw the audience into the story whilst adding drama and excitement . An Idea I had in the rehearsal process was that Max and his decks should be lifted up into the air to show a connection with magic . I think this looked really effective and fun and it really brought the narration to life within the chorus as if we where trying to impress the audience with our 'magic friend' . 



The next scene I was in was being the first Mephistopheles summoned by Faustus. I would come down the isle at the top row of seating to create an imposing and creepy atmosphere. In a previous out door rehearsal we had descovered that when I went to scream in my mask the sound was trap inside , so what sounded really loud as to me was barley noticeable to anyone els. On the day at the boat when doing a run through we decided to help me out Luke would could up with me and hide behind the back row . He would scream for me as I gestured and swung my head back in the air . This problem was over come and worked well in the performance.  When I entered down the steps i'd have to hiss at Faustus and get right up to the audiences face. What I was really worried about was coming down the steps to the stage in the  mask that I could hardly see through and long cloak hanging at my feet . It was a challenge I'd have to figure out myself and find the best way that I felt confident with . What helped was holding the cloak away from my feet so I wouldn't trip over that and as I was looking down to watch where I was going I'd look at audience members and hiss . I think this covered up the fact that I was really scared about tripping effectively! 

Luke screaming for me ! Waiting on the hill to go on. 

 Slowly starting to come down ... 

 Made it safely . Also in the sper of the moment as you can see I started to crawl on the stage I felt this would make the scene look even more creepy and unsettling .

The next ensemble part I was in was coming on with Georgia , George and Luke . We where all good angels . Myself , George and Luke had rehearsed a tune to sing whilst accompanying Georgia . We wanted it to sound like a choir singing in a church. We simply put a white cloak around our 'ravers' costume and would come on singing and praying . Personal I like to think ,like the actors back in the Elizabethan era I was over dramatic with this character. The audience response was giggling and laughing so I could tell they found it humours . I had may mouth open wide with a really exaggerated smile looking up into the sky. Occasionally I would cross myself and mime as if I was praying . The bad angel would bring on some 'side kicks' (the Devils) and they came over to us  beatboxing and trying to scare us away. I think this was a really fun scene however to improve I think we could of come on earlier  singing and making it more comic and funny. I think that scene had more potential to be slap stick , almost a little fight . I think this would link well with Elizabethan theatre as they where fans of mellow drama and comedy. 



I was also part of an ensemble in Act 2 scene 1 . There are stage directions explaining "Enter devils giving crowns and rich apparel they dance and then depart"  For this we all entered as creepy devils yet still dressed as ravers to reflect the darkness within practing music in our concept , from all parts of the stage and seating . We then crawled through the audience and sat in the trench around the stage . This scene is supposed to entice Faustus and convince him that selling his soul would be worth it and life would be better and that he'd be adored . In this scene I felt as though we were being more traditional in the respect that we all entered as creepy Devils jumping throught the audience and sticking our tounges out hissing and spitting. We had another dance routine to keep our concept consistent through out . We all had to seduce Faustus and almost be quite sexy Devils to Lur him into our contract trap ! We all had a solo dance to entice him and I think it looks really collaborative and lusty . I personally found it quite sexual especially as some of us had to crawl up to faustus on our hands and knees clawing at him . I think we all had great facial expressions and animation in our movements . I tried to exaggerate everything even in this photo you can really see me in a squat position to look hunched and low, looking up a faustus to see wether he was being seduced . I really had fun with the enterance I would hiss and growl right in the faces of the audience baring my teeth and clawing at them. 


    The next ensumble piece I was in was the scene where we all had to walk on stage as 'sexy women' or 'beautiful people' for faustus to choose from . I felt that this scene was really uncomfortable and cringe worthy , especially as our parents were in the audience! I attempted to look sexy by dropping my hip and having one hand on my hip whilst playing with my hair . I'd also pout and batt my eyelids. We then had to go into the audience and dance outrageously around them , seducing them and generally trying to make an uncomfortable , obscene atmosphere. I think it was clever that we used boys and girls to be the 'sexy people' becuase in the Elizabethan era only men were allowed to act . I can imagen that this scene to be quite humorous to the crowd back then . In our concept we also used luke George and max so for our 21st century audience they had a mixture of both genders. 

Here's a photo of myself and Luke practising in rehearsals. 

   The next character I played was Beelzebub. I had to walk on with Amber 'lucifer' as I was her assistant . My status at this point is very high as faustus fears my character therefore even just by standing there ominously not saying anything was creepy and imposing . I personally would of preferred it if my hood was up as this would of helped my character appear more mysterious. Also I think there could of been more interaction between Beelzebub and faustus for example simple but effective gestures such as faustus bowing down to lucifer and maybe even kissing their hands . However I think there was good interaction with the 7 deadly sins for example when Beth was on stage talking about how she loved gold and wanted all of it myself and charlie would give eye contact to eachother and smerik whilst holding some gold coins to tease her . Even our entrences could of been bigger and more fierce with more shock from actors on stage to emphasise our arrival . 

At this part of the it was the change over from one Mephestopheles to another and one faustus to another . Myself and charlie made up a small routine to symbolise Mephestopheles getting older and to show how time has past . I didn't like how little time we had to do this and I wasn't confident with weather or not the audience Would understand the Change over ?  Everyone would be dancing around and she would pull me into the centre and throw flowers at me . I would stand looking up to the top row my stance was strong and grounded and my posture was straight . I felt that it was important to show the power Mephestopheles has especially now 'she' has grown older and is impatient when waiting for faustus's soul to be dragged to hell. In comparsion to the Elizabethan era in our version of the play Mephestopheles was played by me and Charlie who our women . Again in the Elizabethan period it was against the law for women to act. I think it was great the Mephestopheles was cast by a women and to be played by a women . I thought it showed how far we have come through time showing that women and men have the same rights. Also I like that this is an opportunity to show how women are strong aswell as men and they can lead be respected and also feared. 

The next scene was the duke scene. Myself luke and Paige would start of by standing on the table overlooking everyone to show the power and status we had . Also I think standing on the table had and the highet we where at had some reference to God and how he would be overlooking earth . It almost represented being in the heavens and looking down on everyone. 

    Myself and Luke held a strong pose when standing on the table which we held in a freeze frame again to show the power and status of our character . I wanted my pose to be more sutle yet menacing becuase Mephestopheles is more in the back ground of the scene watching over faustus . However having my hand on his sholuder I thought represented how I still have control over him. Once with freeze frame was over myself and luke would Bob our heads to some music pointing and joking with eacother we wanted this to show how the characters didn't have a care in the world and where enjoying their power. My self and Luke's first bit of dialogue was good however the elements of working outside did hit us. As I was finishing the line "faustus I have and becuase we will not be Unprovided I have taken up his holiness privey chamber for our use" a member of the public who wasn't watching the show shouted something out to us . It did annoy me that he felt the need to interrupt out hard work and the moment we'd been waiting for but luke handled it well with his next line and we carried on even louder and stronger with our volume and projection . I guess that expirence would of been true to the Elizabethan era as members of the audience would often drink and become rowdy . And if they didn't like a character or actor they could throw food at them . 

The pope scene was fun and there was some great interaction between myself and Luke we would look at eacother and raise our eye brows or mime plotting something against the characters on stage . My stage direction where to sit in the table and observe faustus however my character still wanted to join in with the fun. There was real chaos in this scene with a lot happening . In the rehearsal process it took a while of the energy and animation to pick up and it was never really fun . But on the night everyone did a great job of exaggerating how shocked and scared their all where by the invisible presences cause havock . I got involved too and help faustus with scaring everyone off stage . I think it was a nice bond and connection between the characters as they enjoyed working as a team to scare and fright the duke . 

The next scene I was in was where Robin and Rafe summon me and I have a short monoluge about how tired Mephestopheles is of being summoned by fools just for fun. I would say the monoluge in a fed up and frustrated tone pacing the stage and telling the audience to allmost get some sympathy. I thought my projection was strong and clear and my volume was loud , I think the ranting tone of the monoluge helped me to become louder and help natural gestures. Also the interaction between me and bryleah was good she would get right up in my face and I'd look shocked that she would stand up to my character like that . On the line " I transform thee into an ape and thee into a dog and so be gone " I would look and point to the actor I wanted to transform to exaggerated that I was casting a spell. 

The next scene I was in was act 4 scene 1 - emperor. I didn't have a lot to do in this scene part from watch over faustus and the emperor. However there was one part of the scene I really liked doing and that was when Georgia came on with horns . I could join in with everyone laughing and pointing and I think at this point in Mephestopheles and faustus's relationship she was proud of him for showing his power. I then got to magic off the horns so I held my hands above them and moved them around as if I was casting a spell . I would then quickly slip them off and hold them behind my back. I think it was good that we didn't try and make a big thing of hiding the horns becuase in Elizabethan times they would of had to do the same to pull of the illusion . 

The next scene was the horse courser and I enjoyed this scene as there was a lot of dialogue between me and Dannii . I especially liked the line "I tell thee he has not slept this eights nights" I would say this line in a very low tone and walk towards Dannii with my hands at my sides in fists forcing her to cower and walk back . I wanted this line to be conveyed in that way as I think it really showed how Mephestopheles is protective over Faustus and that she may see him more than for just his soul again like when she tucks him into bed. It shows a soft sympathetic side to Mephestopheles. Also Mephestopheles and faustus have great interation after they have ticked the horse courser we would laugh and hit eacother like 'lads' would and I think it just showed how their bind had changed over the 24 years they had been at each others side.

The next scene was the duke scene and I didn't have any lines to say yet it was still one of my favourite scenes . I would reveal the grapes to the dutchess on a platter and she would run over and start scoffing them . We had great fun with this as I would try to snatch a grape and I'd even through them at people in the audience pointing and laughing . I wanted to do that to show the naughty and mischievous side of Mephestopheles and I think this added great humour to the scene . 

The next scene was the scholar scene where faustus summons Helen of troy . Our concept to be relivent to the audience was that the scholars where 'lads' . They where rowdy and obnoxious . They would try to interact with me but I would look at them disapprovingly and shove them out of the way . I was really annoyed that I forgot to help Amber down the last step and next time mad a bigger thing of helping her and showing her off however I think she looked great owning the stage herself . It was a long a pnd drawn out enterance which showed how entranced faustus is by her . However I looked on with attitude almost to show Mephestopheles as slightly jealous . 
The next scene was the old man scene where he try's to convince faustus to repent . However I hand luke a dagger as if to say now is the time to complete the deal . Mephestopheles is outraged when Faustus throws down the dagger i portrayed this by frowning and opening my mouth in shock moving away from him and frowning at the old man for helping Faustus change his mind . When the old man leve Mephestopheles and faustus have a fight . I conveyed this anger towards faustus by shouting 'traitor faustus!' And pointing directly at his face storming towards him frowing and bearing my teeth. I liked my soliloquy to the audience as by this time it was getting darker and it was if Mephestopheles had frozen time to just talk to the audience and reflect on faustus and how furious she was with him. I really like how my last line was directed 'Faustus this or what els tho shalt desire shall be performed in twinkling of an eye' as I said this I pointed into his eye then pointed at the back of the stage where Helen was entering . I would then go and sit at the side of the stage watching Helen and Faustus embrace . I looked at them disapprovingly and would accasionaly turn away . As they excited max would come back on as the old man seeing faustus with Helen and realising that he hadn't repented . I see max and decide to stage on stage and watch him . I looked at him with a  cunning  and sly expression . Becuase he had tried to help faustus repent all the devils would then feast on max and I watched over smiling and laughing . Also wish I thought looked effective was that I clapped my hands for all the devils to dispers and I think it just exaggerated how Mephestopheles still had the power and control in this tale. 

My last stage direction was to wait at the top row and slowly walk down as faustus was being dragged to hell . I got to the stage just as luke screamed 'Mephestopheles!' Which looked really powerful . I then just turned to face the audience as the chorus warned the audience of this moral . We the finished with as dance sequence to highlight the fact that in our concept music was the power and source of evil which does reflect some views of different genres of music being sinful . I think is was a very differnt way to end a play as the Elizabethans would of just taken their bows. Overall I think the play went really well and we showed a great modern interpretation of Dr faustus to relate to at 21st century audience .I also had a great expirence performing at the BOAT and I really feel that I have a better understanding of what it was like for actors who only ever knew an open abit theatre . Lastly I think we did a great job as an ensumble and a team, it was good fun and a challenge at the same time . 











No comments:

Post a Comment