Wednesday 22 April 2015

Tuesday 17th march analysis

In this rehearsal we ran the Victoria scene , the lift scene and the guard scene. The feel I got from the Victoria scene was that I found it hard to get into it. I felt unsure of how I should react to  Victoria intruding Lisa's home. To approach this I felt about how I would personally feel if a stranger made themselves comfortable in my home. The emotions I felt where uneasy and weary. To portray this I made Lisa have closed body language by folding my arms , occasionally fiddling with my nails, my eye line was low or looking out into the audience which I imagined to be Lisa's flat. It helped to just act more naturalistic in this scene. The strong points of this scene for Lisa I feel is her facial expressions and body language. However I may need to work on my tone of voice. I need to ask myself how will Lisa's pitch , tone and volume be in interaction with Victoria .

The lift scene is proving to be very successful and comical. The key elements for this scene is timing and facial expressions. The facial expression have to be very over the top and melodramatic. I think Lisa has great facial expressions in this scene. To make this scene have a comical element, I have a shocked expression, my eyes are wide with disbelief and occasionally I'll bite my fist in disgust. My peers agree this works well to gain laughs from the audience. I think the biggest weakness in this scene is the timing elements we have with the automated voice. I'm sure with more rehearsals we can improve this and work out some beats to make the movement polished and neat.

The guard scene in my opinion is all about timing and facial expressions and subtle reactions the other actors on stage. In the guards case they had to overreact , melodramatic to Lisa's arrival. At this stage in the play I felt that Lisa was weary and confused. However she did trust the guards and did warm to them . For example when she first meets them she is hesitant to approach them. I thought that she would have closed body language so again I had my hands clasped together and I would slowly edge towards the guards. I made my voice softer to try and portray Lisa as a warm and friendly person, I would imagine that she would want to seem as little as a threat as possible towards the guards.However I during this rehearsal  I tried the approach to the guards in different ways. For example I tried a confident approach , making Lisa seem enthusiastic about interacting with the guards. To show this I would have open body language by having my arms out as if I was about to point or make a gesture . Also my volume was loud and had a strong tone to it to show confidence.
However I thought the more apprehensive approach was more suited to Lisa , considering her life is out of balance and she is dissociating herself from relationships and other human interaction.
In comparison to her timid approach to the guards , later on when the guards get upset about Queen Sarah's disapirence Lisa shows a caring , and comforting side to herself . I thought this could be because she was using them to find her lost hour and by being caring she may of thought he could win them over.
Rachel suggested that instead of seeming annoyed I should use this idea and approach them differently at this point. She suggested that I should slowly walk over and comfort the crying guards.So in comparisons to the shy arrival , I made my tone soft and sound almost patronising . My volume was quite to put emphasis on the compassion Lisa was trying to portray. Also I had my arms out in a caring way making my body language open . This approach  worked better then being annoyed at the guards for getting upset. Furthermore this could be parallel to Lisa's dissociative personality. I think this was a successful run through, even though we didn't get through all the scenes we wanted to , I feel that I understand how to portray Lisa . And I think the best way of doing this is acting as naturalistic as possible to the craziness around Lisa at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment