Friday 22 April 2016

Unit 18 Audition check list and Rent and Classical audition evaluation


Guide to auditions and professionalism leaflet


Today we made notes on how auditions work in the industry. The difference between an audition and casting is that casting is where you go straight to reading through the script with other actors . For example johnny Deep wouldn't  do an audition because his work is recognized in other films as he is a successful actor. An auditions is when you not a well known actor and they need to see your acting skills for the first time.
We then made some key notes. 
  • You start the audition from the moment you enter the building showing good posture , a confident persona and a keen willing to learn . 
  • For an open audition you should turn up about 3 hours early to secure a place to audition.
  • When waiting for your audition you should scan a script to fit in that final preparation and familiarisation  with you character.
  • You should always be prepared to improvise so they can gain an understanding on how you work on the spot.
  • You should always wear appropriate clothing to an audition  , for example neutral (black) works well because they can then find it easier to picture you as the character.
  • You should research the part and background of what your auditioning for . For example research the script the casting director and company . 
  • You should be very clear on your own availability. 
My preparation for Rent audition
First before an audition its best to do some back ground research into the play or musical and find out its main themes . I found that the main themes in Rent where to do with current affairs that where going on in the 80's. For example , AIDS, Poverty , Gay Rights, drugs, the bohemian movement and homelessness. West side story's themes where immigrants and street gangs.  
When preparing for my rent and west side story audition I firstly learnt the words in parrot fashion. I then went on , in my own time to focus on enunciation. To help I did some twisters and I also did an exercise where you hold a pencil in your teeth and recite the song .   For Rent I have chosen Out Tonight which is sung by Mimi. And for west side story I have chosen A Boy Like That sung by Anita . When researching these characters I found that their personalities where very familiar in a fiery sense. I think these songs are very similar in comparison as they are both sassy,wild  and aggressive. They tell a lot about the character , for example Mimi is a confident , exotic dancer with a lot of passion and attitude. She fits into the play as the confident , out going rebel . I think her character showed how it was easy for the young generation at that time to get into drugs and poverty. And Anita's character fits into to the theme as a strong ,loud women who is a leader figure for Maria . She was the beacon that showed Americans that not all immigrants where bad and that they had morals , pride and honor too.
I think these song suit my voice as they are comfortably within my range. Also my voice is powerful and suited to attitude rather then long drawn out high notes . The other options where Will You Light My Candle from rent and Somewhere from West Side Story and these songs are soft , elegant and have a high range. Because the context of the songs I can really focus on the characters within the songs and show the personalities of the characters. For example for Mimi I wanted to be very animated and lively , I tired to portray this by moving around the stage and throught my arms up in excitement ! My posture was straight as I wanted to show that Miami owned the stage. For Anita I wanted to appear stern and dominate so I always tried to keep a tall an straight posture . Also I would use my finger to point and clench my hand to appear threatening . Vocally for Mimi I have tried screeching some of the high notes and put on a sassy accent to try and show the sexual appeal she has. Also I try and project my voice and raise my volume again to show I owned the stage. For Antia its hard to focus because I concentrate on the accent however I really wanted to focus on the tone. I think my tone had to be low and sound serious to show that Antia was being declarative and direct . Also I think I really need to raise the volume of my voice to show the  authority in her character. I think my diction is good and my breath control is clam which meant hopefully I could keep a good pace in the audition. 
Also they are both naturalistic characters set in a non-natralistic environment (a mysical). I would only consider it non naturalistic because in real life we don't break out in song however their topics and themes are very naturalistic and apply to a lot of people. 

I think my audition for Rent went well because I was animated and lively not just showing my vocal range but also my potential for playing Mimi or another character with a complex personality. I was moving around the stage and showing passion in my gait and facial expressions, also using my whole body to portray what Mimi was singing about in 'out tonight'. However this did make me feel quite out of breath and I was finding breath control hard . And I think the pace of the song was too fast.  I dont think 'A boy like that' went as well because I forgot some lines , however I held it together by just stopping professionally when I couldn't carry on instead of panicking . Also with 'A boy like that' I managed to adapt to Anitas accent and the dicsion that comes with having an accent which also showed my versatility in acting. Overall I think the audition went well and I was really pleased to get the part of Collins but my targets for next time would be to be confident with 'A boy like that' I should of spent more time on that song and equally focused time on both songs .Also I think I should of spent more time on composing myself and taking a breath before starting the song instead of just jumping into it . It was my time to show my ability and I could of used the audition time more wisely .
My classical Audition
I  think the monologue I choose to do for my classical audition was a good choice . I chose Macbeth act 5 scene 5 by shakespear . I used it to my advantage as I used this monologue for all my other classical auditions at drama schools . This meant that I knew the piece really well and its context . This monologue is when Macbeth finds out the news that his wife is dead and he is falling into insanity. It worked well with the character that I would of ideally wanted to play in Faustus (Mephistopheles) . The characters of Macbeth and Mephistopheles link well as they are ominous and have a sinister personality. I think the audition went well, I gave myself a moment to compose and take a breath . I thought about what Macbeth was trying to convey in his speech and what he may of been feeling . My stance was strong and still when giving the speech and also my posture was straight to make myself look tall and towering. I lowered my tone of voice and spoke loudly and clearly . I think this showed Macbeth's persona to a good standard and it also showed that I could deal with the complex language . When being questioned on the play I had done my research and had a keen understanding of play and its themes . I had also looked into the character of Mephistopheles and explained how I loved playing the villain as I feel its more diverse, interesting and complex. The Villan always has a super-objective and that usually makes the plot twist and causes the conflict which is the peak of dramatic tension. I was very happy to receive the part of Mephistopheles therefor thought I'd used my time more wisely in this audition compared to the Rent and West Side Story audition.





No comments:

Post a Comment